[mythtv-users] Feature Request: allowable overlap for recordings?

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Fri Jun 17 03:38:17 UTC 2005

On Thu, Jun 16, 2005 at 01:19:06PM -0400, Joseph A. Caputo wrote:
> IMHO, a better solution would be to add an option to the Conflict
> Resolution screen; something like "Allow recording of non-conflicting
> portion only".  An override like that would affect only that particular
> showing, and would be much easier to remedy than editing the recording
> schedule (and possibly remembering to change it back again later).
>
> Just my $.02.

This is yet another option you don't need.   The system should first try
to see if there will be other showings to allow recording without conflict,
and if it can't find one, it should just record what it can.  I see no need
for an option to turn that off, at worst it wastes a small amount of disk
space and people can manually cancel such recordings.

In general, a system should never not record if it has picked the best
available time to record a requested show.   Even if the clocks are off,
even if the tuner is not tuning the channel well, even if the power fails
and the system reboots in the middle of the recording.   It should record,
and tag the recording as damaged or truncated (meaning that it will attempt
to re-record on top of this if it gets the chance.)

I've been hit by the NTP daemon crashing bug myself, it's a frustrating
problem.  Almost enough to suggest the backend 2 backend protocol should
include timestamps, and start raising a major snit if the timestamps don't
match the clock.

SMOP.