[mythtv-users] Why doesn't my DVB-T card record in MPEG-2?

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 06:02:59 UTC 2005

On 6/16/05, Phill Edwards <philledwards at gmail.com> wrote:

> The only thing I can think is that the recording profile is irrelevant
> as there is no recording profile applied - the broadcast stream just
> gets dumped to disk as is. In which case I assume that I should set up
> a transcoding profile for MPEG2 --> RTJPEG or MPEG4. Is that correct?

This is how I understand it - the DVB cards are not doing any encoding
(just dumping the stream) and so the profile settings do not affect
things (same with hardware MPEG2 cards too I think). To save space,
you then create a transcoding profile to convert the MPEG2 files to
MPEG4 etc. (In the UK, I find that high bw channels such as BBC1
[15Mbps] uses ~4GB for a 2hr record, and a lower bw channel [6.75Mbps]
about 2GB for the same. I record in TS so that I can record radio from
DVB, this will increase the file size slighly due to the extra format
overheads.

Nick