[mythtv-users] Q: PVR350: svideo without composite connection gives B/W!

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 08:19:04 UTC 2005

On 6/16/05, Teus Hagen <teus at theus.nlnet.nl> wrote:
> Maybe this has nothing to do with mythtv and maybe nothing with PVR350.
>
> I used to have output to my tv set using mythtv and PVR350 via SCART.
> I used to have stereo output via motherboard audio and solely COMPISITE
> video.
> Actualy the tv is connected via an audio/tv receiver between tv and
> computer:
> PVR350/comp audio ---- audio/composite/svideo ----> RECEIVER <---- scart
> -----> TV
> Worked ok. But thought svideo could improve quality. St tried to use
> SVIDEO cable connection to the squart as well.
> Why do I want this?: it saves one cable and better video quality.
>
> Problem: when I disconnect composite cable I get only B/W from the svideo
> connection.
> How do I get what I hoped for better color on my tv?
> (Do I need to switch on/of different components to "signal" svideo use?)
> Why do I want this?: less cables, simpler connections.
>
> I do not use PVR350 <---- scart ----> receiver. This because there is no way
> to feed audio into the scart from the computer (or do I need to patch
> the cable for this
> as a an improved method?).

If you have a both a dual phono to phono audio cable and S-Video
cable, you might want to track down a cheap S-Video/Audio to SCART
adapter. This allows you to connect the cables directly to the SCART
socket via the adapter. The adapters can also have a directional input
so that they work both ways (for SCART input and SCART output).

Also, maybe try tracking down the operating manual for the TV to see
whether it supports S-Video input via its SCARTs.

Nick