[mythtv-users] Character encoding problem in UK Radio Times XML data

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 08:55:54 UTC 2005

On 6/17/05, Neil Bird <neil at fnxweb.com> wrote:

>    I'm noticing that I keep getting '' characters in Myth where I guess
> RT is supplying 'proper' quote characters.  I'm also guessing that this
> is an encoding issue;  my FC3 is running UTF-8, and I suppose RT is
> using 'Doze Latin1.
>
>    Is everyone else using RT XML getting this, or have I got something I
> can fix?  Or can I work around it anyway?

I checked one of the XML files in Firefox and it reckons it's
ISO-8859-1. If you don't want to change to use the Latin character
set, you could run tv_grab_uk_rt manually to produce the XML files,
then run them through a script to replace the '' with a ". Finally
run mythfilldatabase to import the data into Myth.

Probably an easier solution out there - have you tried temp changing
to 8859-1 to see if the problem disappears?

Nick