[mythtv-users] Seeking driving me nuts

Robert Tsai rtsai1111 at comcast.net
Fri Jun 17 14:28:20 UTC 2005

On Fri, Jun 17, 2005 at 10:13:07AM -0400, Joseph A. Caputo wrote:
> On Friday 17 June 2005 0:56, Sasha Z wrote:

[Sasha Z wrote some stuff about undoubtedly important things, but
Joseph cleverly hijacked the thread into a detour for his own
nefarious purposes :).]

> I've also been having problems with auto-transcoding.  I know some
> changes went in recently, but I thought I'd addressed them by
> tweaking the appropriate settings.  Basically, what I'm seeing is
> that any newly scheduled recordings are not auto-transcoding (even
> though I've checked and re-checked every setting relating to
> auto-transcode both in the UI *and* the database itself.  All of my
> recordings have 'autotranscode' = 1 and 'transcoder' = 0 in the
> 'record' table, yet it seems like only my 'old' scheduled recordings
> are being transcoded.

Assuming you're running some recent vintage of CVS, make sure that:

	- Auto-transcode is enabled in each recording schedule (it
	  sounds like you've done this).

	- Auto-transcode is enabled in the Recording Profile for the
	  desired capture cards (less obvious). Be sure to go all the
	  way through the UI to click "Finish".

Both need to be enabled for auto-transcode to occur. The idea is that
you may want to transcode stuff recorded off your pcHDTV card to save
disk space, but don't need to transcode stuff recorded off your PVR
card which has already encoded something down to some acceptably-low
bitrate.

Having said that, I also experienced recent problems getting
auto-transcode to work for new schedules. I ended up just going
through a few cycles of going through the UI and restarting
mythbackend until auto-transcode started working.

Sorry I don't have a more scientific solution :).

--Rob