[mythtv-users] Mythfrontend hangs machine every time upon startup- need help debugging please

Mark fairlane at springcom.com
Sat Jun 18 03:10:04 UTC 2005

I'm working on a fresh install of my myth system, and have been having
trouble with
my machine hanging when starting mythfrontend.  It's been doing it on
0.18 and 0.18.1.

The line in /var/log/messages it seems to be hanging on is this one:

mythmain: kernel: bttv0: PLL can sleep, using XTAL( 28636363 )

I found one other guy in the archives that seems to be having the same
issue, and he
thought it was modules conflicting.  I actually rmmod'd nearly all my
modules and
tried running mythfrontend and it still crashed.  The crashes are always
a hard lock,
and I always have to do a hard reset.  Anyone run into this problem?  I
don't know what
to do to fix it because I can't get any output on the frontend for debug.

It does it as user and root, and even if the backend isn't running.  I
can run the mythtv-setup
program ONE time at the beginning of installation, and if I try and run
the setup again, it hard
locks.  The GANT screen comes up without any test, just a background and
it freezes.

Any ideas?

Basics:
Slack 10, Qt 3.2.2, lirc 0.7.0, 2.4.27 kernel custom complile,
Nvidia4363, ivtv 0.2.0rc3j....

Mark