[mythtv-users] Ubuntu lirc for the PVRs

Mike stuff at dustsmoke.com
Sat Jun 18 10:22:58 UTC 2005

Bob Cottingham wrote:

>Jason Werpy wrote:
>

>>Has anyone gotten lirc working on Ubuntu with their PVR.  I can get
>>all the packages installed and it tries to build but fails.  Building lirc
>>by hand generates compile errors on the make.  I've googled a lot of
>>information about this but there doesn't appear to be a true universal fix
>>out there.
>>
>>I think the errors are coming from the i2c module integration, and my
>>next step is to build a custom kernel and see if that can clear anything
>>up.
>>
>>The next step after that is just to say goodbye to ubuntu and install
>>Fedora Core 3 instead.
>>

>There is a Ubuntu installation guide on MythTV.info that include lirc from
>source. Here is the address:
>http://mythtv.info/moin.cgi/UbuntuInstallation
>
>Works great for me. I don't know about using the packages, but needed to
>use the source for my PVR-150.  The only problem with compiling lirc from
>source is the extremely long wait I had to endure to create all of the
>linux modules, which took roughly an hour I believe on my Athlon 2500+ and
>about two hours on my Duron 650Mhz.
>
>Bob C

I don't know how much that package is still like Debian.... But if it is
remotely the same, and you want to do it with the default packages.
Here's how I'd do it with debian.... (if I remeber correctly, the ubuntu
guys were doing something much like this)

So of course you'd have to translate this into ubuntu

apt-get install kernel-headers-2.6.11-1-k7 kernel-source-2.6.11 lirc
lirc-source-modules
cd /usr/src
tar xvfj kernel-source-2.6.11.tar.bz2
tar xvfz lirc-modules.tar.gz
cp /boot/config-2.6.11-1-k7 /usr/src/kernel-source-2.6.11-1-k7/.config
make-kpkg modules_image
dpkg -i /usr/src/lirc-modules-2.6.11_0.7.1pre2-6+10.00.Cuustom_i386.deb
cp /lib/modules/2.6.11/misc/*.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.11-1-k7/kernel/drivers/misc/
depmod -ae

Then load it, i use this
modprobe lirc_dev
modprobe lirc_i2c

get your remotes layout from the lirc website then try to watch for it
with irw to assign the commands to mythtv

not sure if that helps any

-Mike