[mythtv-users] Re: VLC and MythVideo

Robert Karaffa rkaraff at emory.edu
Sat Jun 18 23:02:52 UTC 2005

I have made a little progress.  I can make VLC play videos from
MythVideo with this command:

/Applications/vlc/VLC.app/Contents/MacOS/VLC -I dummy

the "-I dummy" part removes the GUI, leaving only the video window.
However, it will not come to the foreground without a little prompting.
  I figured out a kludge that works, but it is neither elegant nor, um,
elegant.  I created an Applescript:

on run
	tell application "System Events"
		tell process "VLC"
			set frontmost to true
		end tell
	end tell
end run

Saved this applescript to the Desktop as "vlcfront".

I use an ATI Remote Wonder II to control my Mac frontend, so I assigned
a key on the remote to run the above applescript.

So, I choose a movie in MythVideo, start it playing, then push the
remote button that runs "vlcfront" and VLC becomes the frontmost
application and thus, I get to see the video window.  Like I said, it
is a kludge, but it will suffice until I can figure a more, um,
elegant, urm, solution.  YMMV.

-Bob K.