[mythtv-users] Re: VLC and MythVideo

David Whyte david.whyte at gmail.com
Sun Jun 19 03:54:43 UTC 2005

Bob,

I don't have a Mac, and have done very very little applescripting, but
surely, the better thing to do is have MythTV call an external player
'script', which both starts VLC *and* brings it to the foreground, all
in one action.

That would be possible wouldn't it?

Whytey

On 6/19/05, Robert Karaffa <rkaraff at emory.edu> wrote:
> I have made a little progress.  I can make VLC play videos from
> MythVideo with this command:
>
> /Applications/vlc/VLC.app/Contents/MacOS/VLC -I dummy
>
> the "-I dummy" part removes the GUI, leaving only the video window.
> However, it will not come to the foreground without a little prompting.
>   I figured out a kludge that works, but it is neither elegant nor, um,
> elegant.  I created an Applescript:
>
> on run
>         tell application "System Events"
>                 tell process "VLC"
>                         set frontmost to true
>                 end tell
>         end tell
> end run
>
> Saved this applescript to the Desktop as "vlcfront".
>
> I use an ATI Remote Wonder II to control my Mac frontend, so I assigned
> a key on the remote to run the above applescript.
>
> So, I choose a movie in MythVideo, start it playing, then push the
> remote button that runs "vlcfront" and VLC becomes the frontmost
> application and thus, I get to see the video window.  Like I said, it
> is a kludge, but it will suffice until I can figure a more, um,
> elegant, urm, solution.  YMMV.
>
> -Bob K.

GMAIL is 'da bomb baby....YEAH

I have GMail invites, if you want one, email me direct.