[mythtv-users] MythTV 0.8.1 and ALSA

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Jun 19 12:38:57 UTC 2005

Otto Barnes wrote:

>I have searched the archives on ALSA questions, and haven't found one
>that deals with the following error message from mythtv, occurs when I
>go to watch tv:
>
>Unable to set ALSA parameters
>
>My settings are:
>
>Output Device: "ALSA:default"
>and I have disabled the "internal volume controls"
>
>ALSA is working properly, xmms plays fine using the ALSA plugin.  Any
>ideas? Thanks.

This is likely to happen with a sound card that's constrained to a
specific input format (i.e. 48KHz PCM) and an application is requesting
a different format (i.e. 32KHz PCM).

To fix it, upgrade to ALSA 1.0.9 (which will enable automatic conversion
for format-limited soundcards using analog output) or fix your .asoundrc
( http://mythtv.info/moin.cgi/DigitalSoundHowTo ) to fix analog and
digital output.

Mike