[mythtv-users] Re: Character encoding problem in UK Radio Times XML data

Paul mythtv at dsl.pipex.com
Sun Jun 19 14:14:56 UTC 2005

>I'm noticing that I keep getting 'Æ' characters in Myth where I guess
>RT is supplying 'proper' quote characters. I'm also guessing that this
>is an encoding issue; my FC3 is running UTF-8, and I suppose RT is
>using 'Doze Latin1.

>Is everyone else using RT XML getting this, or have I got something I
>can fix? Or can I work around it anyway?

I am also seeing this on  both FC2 and gentoo. Somebody has already
reported this on the xmltv-dev list but he got no replies :-(.

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.tv.xmltv.devel/5262

An example of the problem for anybody to take a look at is
Traffic Cops on BBC1 Mon June 20 8.30 - 9.00pm.

The strange thing is the apostrophe in "Britain's" is shown correctly but
the
same character in "who's" is not shown correctly. Is there anybody using
the Radio Times grabber not seeing this problem?

Personally I think that if this is a common problem it should be fixed in
the tv_grab_uk_rt grabber.

Taking a quick look at the tv-grab_uk_rt file I see there is already some
bad character
translations going on at around line 392. Would it not be just a matter of
adding
further character translations here? I should point out I know nothing about
Perl so
I could be talking BS?

Paul