[mythtv-users] Mythtv setup total failure - how to start over?

Stef Coene stef.coene at docum.org
Mon Jun 20 08:32:48 UTC 2005

On Monday 20 June 2005 05:32, Todd Bailey wrote:
> I tried this suggestion and the files are still there.
>
> "... You need to use "apt-get --purge remove" for the config files to be
> removed. It's a feature rather than a limitation...."
>
> Feature my Ass,  I want to remove , uninstall, delete, start over, revert
> to prior to installation,  etc....
Then do a reinstall ;)
You can uninstall a package so the binary's are removed, but the config files
are saved.  Or you can purge a package so all files (including config files)
are removed.  If you reinstall a package and it finds some changed config
file, it will ask you what to to with it (overwrite it or not).

> This stuff is still beta (at best) in my mind, and I am being kind!
Then don't use it.

> So far the only way I found that works is a reinstall of the OS including a
> reformat
>
> Everyone complains how "bad" windows is,
Not me ....

> but at least I don't have to
> reformat to get rid of the stuff when it doesn't install right...
> (except for norton/symantec)
> I hate windows as much as the next guy but how many times do I have to
> reinstall/reformat and so on before I works?
Linux?  Normally, one.
One of the problems is that apt-get is not the tool you should use to install
or delete packages.  It's better to use aptitude or dselect (my favorite, but
you need to know how it works) because they will do a better job.  They still
use apt to do the magic stuff.  They will also delete the downloaded
packages.

Stef