[mythtv-users] Mythtv on xbox

Chris Henderson jchendo at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 09:41:59 UTC 2005

Sorry hit enter at the wrong time i guess.....

> On 6/20/05, Greg Mitchell <greg at nodecam.com> wrote:
>

> > You don't /need/ cromwell, and in fact if you get a new xbox, chances
> > are good that cromwell won't work for you.
> >
> > I'll tell you about my setup, so you know what's possible.
> >
> > I got my box hard-modded by a local guy with a so-called "cheap-mod"
> > (DuoX2) dunno why it's called a cheapmod, since it seems to do
> > everything I'd want...
> >
> > There are two buttons on a stock Xbox - power and eject.  The way the
> > installer hooked it up (and maybe this is default, I dunno) pushing the
> > eject button to power up starts the XBox with the modchip disabled.
> > Powering on with the power button starts the box with the
> > modchip/launches a non-ms dashboard.
> >
> >  From there, I booted up a Xebian cd, and followed the install at
> > http://bit.blkbk.com/ - pretty simple.  The XBox remote dongle worked
> > "out of the box" and everything is pretty smooth - aside from the
> > occasional crash :(

 Thanks for the taking the time to reply.

  i went and read the mythtv-box website posts, thanks (i didn't find
 that one :-) )

 But i am a little confused still. in the posts there is says that

 ---- quote snip -------

  Powering it on via the eject button uses the ms bios (ie unmodded) and
  power button boots up the modchip bios and boots to evox.  (great)

  The only problem that I have with it is that Xebian doesn't always
 start properly from the dashboard. ( ??? ) I'd say it's about 50/50 -
 it'll hang with that dreaded green pixel requiring a reboot/retry.
 Otherwise it's all good.

 ---- end quote -------

  the thing that confuses me is the ' Xebian doesn't always start from
 the dashboard' part.

  I was under the impression that Xebian was a full linux install. does
  that me it reboots the xbox and then loads the Xebian/mythtv setup.

  Also where did this install of xebian/mythtv go? like i said before i
  know that the tool 'xbtool' will make a new partition did you put it
 there?
  You didnt say if you had replaced the hdd but i got the impression
  that you didnt. so how do you get the versions of evox and xebian to
  coexist?

  It is sounding like you can play the standard M$ xbox by pressing the
 eject button. (great the wife will love the simplicity of that)

 then if you press the power button it starts the 'modded version' of
  the xbox called evox.
 from there you can do all of the fun extra bits that the chip allows
  AND start the liunx version of mythtv. (not the XBox Media Center)

 Did i get it right.????

 CH