[mythtv-users] Via M10000

George Nassas gnassas at mac.com
Mon Jun 20 14:58:40 UTC 2005

On 20-Jun-05, at 4:03 AM, Craig Hagerman wrote:

> What I am wondering is how the Epia performs at transcoding. I know
> this can take up a lot of CPU power. How long does it take to (remove
> commercials and)transcode an hour of video down to something smaller?
> Can anyone recommend any other small form factor, relatively cool CPU
> / motherboard for my project?

My M10000 performs terribly at transcoding, at least 4:1. In other
words, a 1 hour recording will take 4 hours to transcode. There were
some posts recently about how the choice of mpeg decoder (ffmpeg vs
libav) can make a huge difference in transcoding but I haven't rejigged
my setup to compare.

There are a few boards around with similar setups to the epia but don't
have the cpu built in so you have the option of more horsepower there.
The asus a7v400mx is one although I don't think it has built-in tv-out
and I think gigabyte has one but I don't remember the model.

- George