[mythtv-users] satellite receiver with mythtv

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 17:29:19 UTC 2005

On 6/20/05, EB <ebroo at setuidzero.org> wrote:
> What are the options when changing channels on a tuner that does not have a
> serial port? Should I go buy a new satellite receiver or is there something
> out there that will echo channel changes back out a serial device to change
> the external receiver?

Use a serial port IR (infra-red) transmitter to mimic the receiver's
remote control.

> I am finding that changing channels within the
> satellite signal but outside of myth has a bad delay? I know this is because
> the signal coming is being recorded first, and then displayed but is this
> normal? There is literally a 2-5 second pause between pushing the button and
> seeing the change?

The delay you are seeing is normal buffering - if you change channels
on the receiver, there will still be a few seconds of buffer left on
the old channel before the buffer contains. It's nothing to worry
about and cannot be eliminated. It's annoying when channel surfing,
but that's not what MythTV is intended for. If you use a serial port
IR blaster, you will still get this delay, as it's independent of the
channel change method. (I use a serial port IR blaster, and never had
any problems with it all.)

Nick