[mythtv-users] MythTV and ivtv driver errors

Marshall Crocker marshall at iconux.org
Mon Jun 20 20:09:47 UTC 2005

Chera Bekker wrote:

>Hello Listmembers,
>
>My system: AMD Athlon XP 3000+, Geforce 6600GT, 1 GB ram, Hauppauge
>WinTV PVR 150.
>
>After some tweaking I got MythTv to work with the 0.3.3k ivtv drivers on
>Gentoo linux. I can watch TV and record but I do see occasional MPEG
>errors in the image and dmesg shows a steady stream of ivtv errors like:
>
>    ivtv: ENC IRQ OVERFLOW: #36842 Stealing a Buffer, 2 currently allocated
>
>Mythfrontend gives errors like:
>
>    [mpeg2video @ 0xb7927810]invalid mb type in I Frame at 44 35
>    [mpeg2video @ 0xb7927810]ac-tex damaged at 43 35
>    [mpeg2video @ 0xb7927810]ac-tex damaged at 21 21
>    [mpeg2video @ 0xb7927810]Warning MVs not available
>
>What is the cause of this error? When I use mplayer with ptune-ui I can
>watch TV without any problem and I don't see the ivtv errors.
>
>Should I tweak the livetv and recording profiles to increase or decrease
>the data rate? I already changed the resolution of all profiles to PAL
>(720x576).
>
>The stream type for all profilss is MPEG2 PS. Does it make sense to
>change this?
>
>Any pointers would be very welcome. I have looked through all the info I
>could find but nobody addressed this issue.
>
>Regards
>
>Chera Bekker

My suggestion would be to update ivtv. It wasn't until version 0.3.6g
that I got a useable system with my pvr 150.  You may be able to tweak
the recording profiles to get your current version working but it would
be best to try the latest release.  If you're still having problems with
the latest release, then it would be best to send an email to the
ivtv-devel list.  It's a very good chance that the latest ivtv drivers
won't have that problem, especially since a lot of changes have been
made regarding buffers.

Marshall