[mythtv-users] Is this a "fatal" error ?

Jim Reith reith at racores.com
Tue Jun 21 14:15:59 UTC 2005

>On 6/21/05, todd <toddb at toddbailey.net> wrote:
>>  OK, working on my 4th reinstall and I see from prior installs I forgot
>>  to exec this.
>>
>>  [root at linus mythtv]# /sbin/modprobe ivtv-fb
>>  FATAL: Error inserting ivtv_fb
>>  (/lib/modules/2.6.11-1.27_FC3/updates/drivers/media/video/ivtv-fb.ko):
>>  Operation not permitted
>>  [root at linus mythtv]#
>>
>>  I am running this on a haup. pvr-250 card.
>>
>>  can I ignore this or do we have a problem to research further.
>>
>>  this in out of the install ivtv config section of " Wilsons how to...
>
>... for configuring output from the PVR-350 card. This only appears if
>you consciously open the normally-hidden section dedicated to PVR-350
>output.
>
>Please stop bashing Jarod's guide (which you manage to do in nearly
>every post). A large number of people (with apparently much less
>computing knowledge than you profess to) have successfully built
>systems using this guide, myself included. If you try and setup
>hardware that you don't even have, you will have problems.
>
>If you spot a problem, notify the author. If you come across a problem
>in MythTV, submit a patch if you are able to. Nobody said that MythTV
>is production quality (although a lot of us find it stable enough).
>That's why the release is at 0.18. Finally, Google, Google Groups and
>the mythtv-users archive are invaluable - there's a huge amount of
>useful information available there.
>
>Nick
>
>BTW, your website's index page is not index.htm. You may want to fix
>the broken links. And freelance is one word ...

Well, as much as I appreciate the effort everyone has put into the
HowTo's There has been a major change in going to R5A15 from the R4
versions. The current HowTo's use the older syntax and the new
software complains about the befores and afters and the
post-installs. I was able to finally piece together my system from
several topics and couldn't get the final piece to get past the
purple and green screen and "no device". I finally found the pvr.pl
script and ran that, which them put the old style format back into
ivtv and left me with an XF86Config-4 with no device and no link for
the Hex from lspci -v (all zeros) and so when I put my old ivtv and
XF86Config-4 from the backups (gdm.conf was the same) and rebooted,
it actually came up and is running. So I was close, but there was no
place along the way that had the complete solution. I will try to
document the various file changes but pvr.pl did something I hadn't
so I'll have to look at it and see what I missed.

As I said, I appreciate the work people have done to get the system
up, but we need to indicate which version things are done with so we
can figure out which set to work from