[mythtv-users] Mythfilldatabase auto run - again sorry

Michael Anthon michael at anthon.net
Wed Jun 22 00:37:45 UTC 2005

Ant Daniel wrote:

>The thing is that I have to (currently) run mythbackend as root, but I
>don't want to keep all the config data in root, but in mythtv.
>
>Adding the --graboptions --config-file
>"/home/mythtv/.mythtv/Satellite.xmltv" appears to work for me. It got
>updated last night, although MythWeb Backend status reports it as
>'currently running' and it isn't.

I set my system up using the debian packages.  They provide a cron
script that is run daily like this...

    $ cat
    /etc/cron.daily/mythtv-backend

    #!/bin/sh

    su mythtv -c "mythfilldatabase --quiet"

In case you aren't familiar with this, "su mythtv" will set the
environment variable HOME to the home of the target user so it should be
/home/mythtv on a standard install.  In this case the tv_grab_au script
should work correctly (it does for me).  You can test it by running that
command as root and see if you still get the same error.