[mythtv-users] apt-get upgrade .18 no sound

jacko emailgeek at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 01:23:37 UTC 2005

On 6/21/05, Phill Edwards <philledwards at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I have been battling this thing for about a 3 weeks now.. I cannot for
> > the life of me figure out what happened.  Everything was working
> > smoothly with .17 with SPDIF playing out through my SiS 735 SI7012
> > (intel8x0) on board sound card.  Then after I did an apt-get upgrade I
> > get no sound whatsoever.   I can't even do a   /usr/bin/aplay
> > /usr/share/sounds/KDE_Startup.wav as suggested by Jarod's guide.
> >
> > aplay -l shows the following:
> > card 0: SI7012 [SiS SI7012], device 0: Intel ICH [SiS SI7012]
> >  Subdevices: 1/1
> >  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> >
> > I can't tell you what the alsa-mixer settings were since I have been
> > playing with them trying to figure which is correct.  I definately
> > have IEC958 slider set to zero.
> >
> > My /home/mythtv/.asoundrc looks identical to this one off of Jarod's site.
> > http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/asoundrc.txt
> >
> > My modprobe.conf for audio looks like the following:
> > # sound card setup
> > alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
> > install snd-intel8x0 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-intel8x0 &&
> > /usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
> > remove snd-intel8x0 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ;
> > }; /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-intel8x0
>
> Don't know much about SPDIF, but my guess would be that your sound
> card settings have got trashed in the upgrade. You need to use
> alsamixer to get the settings right as per Jarod's guide. If you have
> a BT8x8 card then you usually have to configure the line-in so that it
> records the sound. Or maybe your sound-out/PCM settings are on mute. I
> have an intel on-board sound card with  screenshots of the settings
> which I'll send you separately. Remember that I don't have SPDIF,
> though.
>
> Regards,
> Phill

Hmm.. I have newer version of alsamixer v1.0.9.  I am looking athe
IEC958 setting and I do not have PCM like yours shows.  It only says
00.

Also, when I go to the mixer through the KDE menu and pull up the GUI
version IEC958 is not set.. and if I set it and the try to play
something through mplayer and then go back into the GUI the IEC958
setting is unchecked again.