[mythtv-users] Remote control issues

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 16:39:43 UTC 2005

On 6/22/05, Tachtevrenidis, Kosta <Kosta.Tachtevrenidis at weyerhaeuser.com> wrote:

> 1) Does anybody know how to make one of the buttons of the remote
> control launch an application (for example mythtv frontend). Sometimes
> my front end crashes and I am sitting there looking at the kde desktop
> with nothing to do but reboot because I have no keyboard attached to the
> machine.

Why reboot? There's a tip on Jarod's guide for just this problem!

http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/tips.php

Essentially, use irexec to run a script that starts mythfrontend if it
isn't running, or kill it if it is. If the frontend does hang, two
presses and you should be up and running again. If you are using a
combined front/backend - you can let the machine turn itself off by
closing the frontend process and waiting for the defined 'idle' time
to expire. If using a frontend, you should be able to shutdown from
the main MythTV menu by choosing 'Exit and Shutdown'.

> 2) How do I assign one button of the remote to take me straight to the
> program guide instead of having to navigate to it through the OSD while
> I am watching TV?

You want to set a global keybinding for GUIDE, using mythweb. 'S' is
the key that is usually bound to this in playback mode.

Nick