[mythtv-users] OT: building an HD Frontend for $250 or less

john sturgeon john.sturgeon at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 17:29:38 UTC 2005

On 6/22/05, Mudit Wahal <mwahal at gmail.com> wrote:
> I believe LP2 is a complete uPNP client. You can check their forums on
> their website http://www.iodata.com . They have list of several 3rd
> party servers.
>
> I'll check out cybergarage. But I'm almost done modifying the wizd
> server to play the liveTV file (ringbuf) and change channels :-)
>
> On 6/22/05, Robert Kulagowski <bob at smalltime.com> wrote:
> > > also the iodata forum has some info about the linux server (wizd) and
> > > about mpeg2-ts. The only major problem that stopped me from buying LP2
> > > was inability to FF/REW on the TS streams. But their June 3rd firmware
> > > release fixed that.
> >
> > Is the LP2 a full uPNP client?  There's a uPNP framework (and some
> > MythTV interface code) over at http://www.cybergarage.org

Time for me to chime in.

I finally got my LinkPlayer on the network (bad network HUB was the
problem).  Wow... I love the thing.  It's interface can be a bit
clunky at times, but where it really counts, it shines, and that's
playback of High Definition content over the network.  As an option to
over the network, you can encode an hour or two of HDTV to MPEG-4 and
fit it easily on a DVD and drop it into the player for direct play...
(who wants to wait for HD-DVD standards to sort themselves out now
that I've got a DVD player that can already do it ;)

The 'corporate' version of the LinkServer is actually quite
functional, as is the wizd server.  The wizd server is far more
flexible in terms of configuration options, but the interface isn't
quite as nice.

Overall, I'd have to say that my MythTV frontend is now in jeopardy of
being replaced.  I had originally intended to drop the LinkPlayer
upstairs in the bedroom as a second frontend, but the WAF factor is so
high that I am probably going to make this my defacto front end.

The only really bad problem I have (so far, until somebody writes a
new interface) is that I cannot get program guide data, and schedule
recordings from the LinkPlayer.

--
John Sturgeon <><
http://www.sturgeonfamily.com/mythtv.php