[mythtv-users] TV won't play unless you run mythbackend manually from a console

Michael Jones m_g_j at michaelandholly.com
Wed Jun 22 23:50:39 UTC 2005

I'm pretty new to this whole thing so be gentle with me ;)

Just finished putting together a MythTV/Fedora3 box with Jarod Wilson's
instructions.

Everything works well except if I run mythbackend as a service watching live
tv doesn't work.

If I open a console window as root and run it manually:

    #mythbackend &

everything works.  If I run it as a service and start live tv, the live tv
screen shows up runs for about 1-2 sec and then freezes,  the system then
waits about 60sec and then returns to the main menu by itself.

Any ideas?

I'm almost sure it's a permission thing.. but don't where.

Thanks

- Michael