[mythtv-users] Lirc doesn't work

David Watkins watkinshome at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 07:42:42 UTC 2005

> Yes - modules are loaded. If I point the StreamZap at the IR receiver
> irw gives me info. If I point the Hauppage at the IR receiver irw
> prints nothing.
>
> Please be aware that I'm very green with this stuff so possibly I'm
> not doing something right, but that's what I see.

If you're not sure about your lircd.conf file you could look at the
remotes.tar.bz2 file here:

http://www.lirc.org/index.html

This contains a whole bunch of lircd.conf files, one of which is a
generic RC-5 one which, if I understand correctly contains all the
RC-5 codes (PVR350 uses RC5).

What I did, when I wanted to use a universal remote with my Hauppauge
PVR350 was:

1. use the above file as my /etc/lircd.conf

2. run irw

3. press each key on my remote and note the keycode generated by irw.

4. where different keys gave the same code then I remap one of them to
an unused code.

5. modify the lircd.conf example supplied by Jarod in his univeral
remote howto to use the button names on my remote and the codes
generated by irw.

http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/remotes.php

6. modified Jarod's lircrc example to use the button names used in my
new lircd.conf file.

Hope this helps, and many thanks to Jarod for providing the clues to
this process in his excellent site.