[mythtv-users] Feature wish: identify recording type

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 13:28:27 UTC 2005

> Well, the way I do it right now is using "file * | grep MPEG2"
> command: "file" recognizes original PVRX50 recordings as MPEG2 videos
> (knows nothing about MPEG4, calls them "data", but one of the two is
> good enough).

I've tried this and noticed that it also calls RTJPEG files "data"
too. Bit of a pain that as I want to compare RTJPEG files vs MPEG4
files. It's odd that it seems to be hard to find out what format a
recording is in.

Also, re the other poster's "U" command, this has a different function
on my box. Whil playing a recording it speeds it up, or when viewing
recording listings it shows the program listing description.

Regards,
Phill