[mythtv-users] Playback vid corruption with 1080i (with pics)

Glen Dragon gad at jetcom.org
Thu Jun 23 18:21:30 UTC 2005

Quoting john sturgeon <john.sturgeon at gmail.com>:

> On 6/23/05, Doug Larrick <doug at ties.org> wrote:
>>
>> Deinterlacing is clearly not working in these pictures.  The stripes are
>> so wide because something (probably your video card) is scaling the
>> pictures to a resolution less than 1080 lines high.  Double-check you
>> have deinterlacing enabled, and check the output from 'mythfrontend
>> --verbose playback'.  Also note that bob deinterlacing is disabled if
>> you're playing at a speed other than 1x.
>> -Doug
>
> Doug is right on.  That is classic when resizing non-deinterlaced
> content.  You can also see this problem if your filter chain is in the
> wrong order, and you resize *before* deinterlacing.  You should always
> de-interlace prior to resizing.
> John <><

Hmm.. I am using kernel deinterlacing.  Or at least thats what I
specify in the menu.  I don't have any other exotic filters or
anything.  I am playing at a 1x speed (normally) The display is
outputing onto a lcd flat panel at 1680x1050, the native resolution of
the display.  I have Xorg setup to do this resolution.

I don't know how I would re-arrange the filter chain. Is this
configurable somewhere? I assume that X is doing the scaling from the
1920x1080 to the 1680x1050. Is this correct?  If myth is doing the
de-int, it should be taking place before the scaling right?

I will post the output of -v playback when I get home. Anything else I
should enable?

> Isn't the 1920x1080i signal pushing the limits of what DVI can handle?
> I presume you have a single-channel DVI.  It almost looks to me like
> the set is on the hairy edge of sync with that signal.  The 720p
> signals push slightly less information, which could explain why the ABC
> broadcasts work.
> I don't suppose the set has a VGA input for comparison?  (Some do, like
> my old-tech Pioneer RPTV with quaint "CRT" technology.)

I am using a dual-channel DVI cable from pacific cable. I am only
running at a resolution of 1680x1050.  It does have a VGA input. I can
try it out, tho it'd require moving things around.