[mythtv-users] Channel Surfing is a Myth

J. Scott jscott9 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 04:05:37 UTC 2005

I'm not real clear on why anyone would channel surf and try to figure out what to watch via their mythtv box. First of all, you'll have to watch commercials (blech!). Second, you have to deal with the pause between channels, not to mention the fact that your box is running hard for no reason, having to compress a video signal, write it to disk, read it from the disk, decompress it, and deliver the video output.

At our house, on the rare occasion that we watch live TV, we just bypass the MythBox. On the even more rare occasion that we find something on live TV that we might want to pause or be able to rewind, we'll just switch over to Myth. I'd say that happens maybe once every 60-90 days, max.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but 'Live-TV' is by far the least used function on my Myth.

(That will be $0.02 please)