[mythtv-users] TV won't play unless you run mythbackend manually from a console

Kevin Saenz ksaenz at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 06:27:48 UTC 2005

open a terminal type
su -

su terminals suck ;-p

then try it again.

> Ok..  We may be getting somewhere?
>
> Rebooted so everything was fresh..
>
> At a su terminal window (gave me permission errors if I did it as a non su
> user):
>
> /etc/init.d/mythbackend stop
> /etc/init.d/mythbackend start
>
> Closed the terminal window
>
> Start the mythfrontend from the pulldown menu in KDE
>
> Watch tv..
>
> It works.
>
> whereis mythbackend returns the same path as listed in the
> /etc/init.d/mythbackend script.
>
> So what does this mean?

sorry barking up the wrong tree. try

which mythbackend

that will tell you the path that mythbackend resides in, it sould be
something like /usr/local/bin/mythbackend
I don't use the gui to start and stop services.
the other thing is if mythbackend is generating an error you might
have a log if you have not modified the