[mythtv-users] Channel Surfing is a Myth

Leigh lsaunderson at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Jun 24 09:20:45 UTC 2005

On Friday 24 June 2005 09:35, Mathew Mrosko wrote:
> On Thursday 23 June 2005 09:05 pm, J. Scott wrote:
> > I'm not real clear on why anyone would channel surf and try to figure out
> > what to watch via their mythtv box. First of all, you'll have to watch
> > commercials (blech!). Second, you have to deal with the pause between
> > channels, not to mention the fact that your box is running hard for no
> > reason, having to compress a video signal, write it to disk, read it from
> > the disk, decompress it, and deliver the video output.
> >
> > At our house, on the rare occasion that we watch live TV, we just bypass
> > the MythBox. On the even more rare occasion that we find something on
> > live TV that we might want to pause or be able to rewind, we'll just
> > switch over to Myth. I'd say that happens maybe once every 60-90 days,
> > max.
> >
> > Maybe I'm in the minority, but 'Live-TV' is by far the least used
> > function on my Myth.
I'd disagree I'm afraid,
while I use my Myth box more for recording programs, watching vids, listening
to music etc (with Goom  :-)  ), I also use it for Live-TV, and find the
pause/rewind etc very handy at times (sod's law that someone decides to pay a
infrequent visit or phone me just in the middle of a really good program).
As for the channel pauses, it's no worse for me than the pause I get changing
the channel on my cable box, perhaps it's not as bad elsewhere in the world..
(I'm in the UK on Telewest Digital cable)

I've not once regretted the time & hair pulling I spent getting the box
working as it is now.