[mythtv-users] Trying to understand the architechture

Brett Stevens brett.stevens at hubbub.com.au
Fri Jun 24 09:22:33 UTC 2005

Again sorry for the nufty questions but Im still trying to understand the
architecture of Myth

I was under the understanding that it is distributed and that I could have a
nuber of backend servers and any number of clients.

What Id like to do is setup 5 settop boxes running mythtv frontend and at
least one server with 2 tuer/capture cards.

However there could be 5 different people watching 5 different programs
either live or timestepped or movies etc.

In this case do the clients need a capture card or do I just run 5 capture
cards in the server. If so dosent I/O become a bit of a problem disk
capacity is not an issue nither is network bandwidth. Im just trying to get
a full picture of the system so I can design one as best as possible.

My thoughts on the capture cards in each client was prompted, firstly from
the info on the web site and secondly if the diskless clients are using nfs
to the server wouldnt this improve preformance????

Id realy like to hear from those that have successfully set up a house wide
multi client multi source setup

thanks again for everybodies help

Brett Stevens