[mythtv-users] Channel Surfing is a Myth

Donavan Stanley geckofiend at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 13:45:50 UTC 2005

On 6/24/05, J. Scott <jscott9 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm not real clear on why anyone would channel surf and try to figure out what to watch via their mythtv box. First of all, you'll have to watch commercials (blech!). Second, you have to deal with the pause between channels, not to mention the fact that your box is running hard for no reason, having to compress a video signal, write it to disk, read it from the disk, decompress it, and deliver the video output.

On a fast machine using a decent filesystem there's not much of a
delay.  That being said, traditional channel surfing, where one hits
chan up/down repeatedly is silly on a Myth box since you *know* whats
on the other channels by using the guide.  Find a show that interests
you then then change the channel to it, don't change the channel
looking for a show.

Then again, I used DirectTV and Tivo for so long that I grew
acusstomed to the paradigm.