[mythtv-users] ASUS Pundit choice

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 13:52:50 UTC 2005

On 6/23/05, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have 4 of the Pundit-R's using the ATI chipset. They are working
> nicely for SDTV. I send via S-Video but composite works fine also. I
> don't know about those specific resolutions so I won't comment on that
> but picture quality is about as good as my cable system provides.
>
> The audio chip in the Pundit-R is the standard ATI sound chip. It
> works fine in stereo. I haven't tried the optical output yet.
> Unfortunately it's on the front of the box so it's a bit messy for
> tying into the stereo.

I'd vouch for the Pundit-R too, the only downside (now that ATI have
finally fixed the TV-Out support) is the placement of the SPDIF on the
front of the machine behind a concealing door. I've modded mine to
make it quieter (default was just too noisy for my ears, even with a
slow Celeron.) If this is for a non-HDTV frontend, you may find using
a non-D Celeron (which has a lower thermal rating) will make the
machine less noisy.

The SPDIF is fine (no probs at all with mine connected to an A/V
receiver) and as Mark suggests above, the TV-Out quality is fine,
although far from as vibrant as that of the PVR-350 output. Also note
that the ATI drivers for the video card do not support 3D acceleration
which might be an issue for you (the open source drivers do though).

Finally, make sure the one serial port will not be a hinderance - I
soldered my IR receiver and transmitter together to around that
problem) but my system works fine with a DVB card and a PVR-350
capture card.

Nick