[mythtv-users] Intel vs AMD for Myth - dual core....

Gregorio Gervasio, Jr. gtgj at pacbell.net
Fri Jun 24 17:36:03 UTC 2005

>>>>> Brian Foddy writes:

b> On Thu, 23 Jun 2005, Mudit Wahal wrote:

>> The HD recording is already in mpeg2. If you get a decent nvidia
>> graphics card with component output (gt6200, gt6600, gt6800), then
>> most of the hardware processing can be offloaded to the graphics card.

b> Is this correct?  I've been using 5200/5600 series cards for a couple
b> years using XvMC.  It works and helps some but I would hardly call
b> it offloaded.  Does the 6200 etc cards have more mpeg2 processing
b> in Linux than their predicessors?  And how is it activated?
b> With the XvMC lib/api or is there something new?

        The newer cards have what nVidia calls PureVideo technology:

http://www.nvidia.com/page/purevideo.html

which looks interesting but there are no drivers nor libraries for
Linux.  Maybe someday ...
--
Gregorio Gervasio, Jr.