[mythtv-users] Direct TV implementation?

David George david at thegeorges.us
Fri Jun 24 19:05:51 UTC 2005

On 6/24/2005 1:12 PM, Jim Trudell wrote:

>I'm just going to pick up one of them DirecTiVo boxes like mentioned and a
>satelite signal splitter and stick my account card into it.  Done deal.

Unfortunately, not quite that simple.  If you buy a directivo from a 3rd
party (say ebay) you will, more likely than not, have to call directv
and order an access card.  This costs $20 and they fedex it overnight.
They won't let you move an existing access card to a different receiver
(yes, I have tried it).

>  Not
>quite as functional as a Myth box, but atleast i wont need dual boxes and a
>splitter and a PC to do a similar job.
>
>Thanks again, i love the idea of MythTV but its not easilly done with
>DirectTV, if i had cable, i'd be all over.

It all depends on what you want to do, but I can't blame you for wanting
something simple and plug-and-go.  I have really been looking at the
TiVo Home Media Engine SDK at http://tivohme.sourceforge.net .  But for
me the real reason for Myth is everything it does (music, video), plus
HDTV, plus not have to pay for guide data.  The guide data is actually a
minor issue because the DirecTV TiVo option is $4.99 a month unless you
have the Premium package (I don't), in which case it is free.  With Myth
I need two receivers which means I have an extra receiver which costs
$4.99 a month.  Argh, my head hurts.

--
David

HDTV frontend I'm working on (pictures, mythmon source)
  http://mythhd.info