[mythtv-users] My Tivo just died. Beyond or Myth?

Devan Lippman devan.lippman at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 23:39:28 UTC 2005

On 6/24/05, Robert Basil <robertbasil at robertbasil.com> wrote:

> 1. Play pause and record TV on my 55' wide screen (Phillips).

 This is what MythTV is all about, you'll find channel surfing limited but
otherwise you've got this.

2. Season pass option to be able to search for and record programs by name /
> date / keyword / new or rerun.

 Yes, even customize how Mythtv determines reruns

3. The ability to record one show while watching another.

 If you get two or more tuner cards no problem

4. The ability to burn my recorded shows onto a DVD.

 This isn't flawless yet but can be done

5. On screen weather.

 MythWeather Plugin

6. On screen RSS feeds.

 Pretty Sure MythNews Plugin does this

Can your software do the above and be able to come in under $500 for both
> software and hardware?

 All the software is free :) You may wan to subscribe to LxMSuite for
additional features and more convenient program listing subscription but
thats about 5$ a month after the first some odd months. Otherwise you can do
it the free way. SO basically you have 500$ to build a PC with 2 tuner
cards. I'd say you can definatly do that. Grab a PVR-350 and a PVR-250,
thorw it in a 100$ barebones system add memory 100$ and a CPU (this varies a
lot)(anything over 1Ghz I'd say). You said you have the rest of the
hardware. And if you have a cable box with a firewire output you can just
use that instead of the PVR-250. You will also need a VGA card to get the
system set up for TV-out.
  Devan Lippman <devan at lippman.net>