[mythtv-users] Can not open card #0

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Sat Jun 25 09:11:47 UTC 2005

> I am installing Mythtv onto a Shuttle with a Nebula PCI card.  I have followed
> the "Nebula linux-2.6 howto" for FC3.
> All the steps seem to have gone OK and I have ended up with Kernel
> 2.6.11-1.14FC3.  In particular, the /etc/udev/rules.d/51-dvb.rules are in
> place and udev is being started at boot-up.  On trying to configure the card
> I get the message 'unable to open card #0' and if I try to select other card
> numbers it reports no such file or directory.  /dev/dvb contains just one
> directory, adapter 0.
>         Is this udev not doing what it should or should I be looking somewhere else ?

mythbackend has "got hold of it". Shut down mythbackend and then try
to configure it in the card setup screen and all will be well. Once
you have it configured there is a setting somewhere which prevents it
being used as soon as mythbackend starts. I can't remember where that
setting is or what it's called but if you go through the setup screens
you will find it. Or someone else may remember it?

Regards,
Phill