[mythtv-users] low footprint Mythtv backend compile and install on Slackware 10

Michael Anthon michael at anthon.net
Sat Jun 25 11:53:25 UTC 2005

Carl Fongheiser wrote:

>Sorry, but you will need Qt and mysql on that box.  I hope you're
>going to be using a capture card with hardware compression, because
>that machine is seriously underpowered for anything else.

It's actually plenty with a card that spits out MPEG2 already.  I'm
running a similar setup with debian on a celeron 466, here is a snapshot
of top while it's recording....

Cpu(s):  6.6% us,  3.6% sy,  0.0% ni, 51.2% id, 35.0% wa,  0.3% hi,  3.3% si
Mem:    192144k total,   189128k used,     3016k free,     1512k buffers
Swap:   104412k total,        0k used,   104412k free,    79428k cached

 1814 root      15   0  149m  19m  10m S  7.6 10.5   1:29.94 mythbackend

It's also quite fast enough so that I can watch something (via samba or
http) while it's recording.  You can see that there is a fair bit of
time spent waiting for disk IO (35% or so).  Make sure that you have a
fast disk and it should be fine.

I don't think you need the full QT stuff on the system to run the
backend, maybe just the QT libs.  The debian package deps would tend to
indicate that is the case.

Cheers,
Michael