[mythtv-users] SATA Drive Failure

Vincent Parrett vincent at vsoft-tech.com.au
Sun Jun 26 02:16:54 UTC 2005

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 13:22:02 -0500, Trey Boudreau wrote:
>=A0The wife has given me the go-ahead to build a new storage system (the
>=A0current 750GB array has topped out with HDTV programs, and I haven't
>=A0made a significant dent in the DVD library transfer process). =A0I've
>=A0planned a dual Opteron 246 box with a 3Ware 9500S-12 PCI-X controller.
>=A0It has Online-Capacity-Expansion, so I can buy my favorite Maxtor
>=A07Y250M0's a few at a time and keep the initial outlay down a bit.

Take a look at the Areca SATA II controllers (also support NCQ), better=
 performance than the 3ware cards and they go up to 16 drives, available as=
 PCI-X and PCI Express. Has linux drivers for a bunch of distros including=
 X86-64 based ones.

I have an Areca 1110 controller on my windows 2003 server (nothing to do=
 with myth I know) and the performance is way better than my other two=
 (similarly specc'd ) servers with the 3ware cards.

Regards

Vincent Parrett

VSoft Technologies Pty Ltd
http://www.finalbuilder.com
Blog: http://blogs.finalbuilder.com/vincent
Automate your Software builds with FinalBuilder.