[mythtv-users] Searching imdb.pl is really slow

AeroPeek aeropeek at gmail.com
Sun Jun 26 09:49:23 UTC 2005

Hey all,

I'm running MythTV 0.18.1 (frontend and backend) on FC3.
When I'm searching for a movie in a command line using the imdb.pl
script everything works really fast, for example:

[mythtv at htpc scripts]$ time ./imdb.pl -dM "lost in translation"
# query: 'lost%20in%20translation', options: ''
# request: 'http://www.imdb.com/find?q=lost%20in%20translation;'
0335266:Lost in Translation (2003)

real    0m0.925s
user    0m0.097s
sys     0m0.016s
[mythtv at htpc scripts]$ time ./imdb.pl -D 0335266
Title:Lost in Translation
.....lots of info....
Genres: Drama,Comedy
Countries: USA,Japan

real    0m1.159s
user    0m0.104s
sys     0m0.016s
[mythtv at htpc scripts]$ time ./imdb.pl -P 0335266
http://www.impawards.com/2003/posters/lost_in_translation.jpg

real    0m1.728s
user    0m0.093s
sys     0m0.020s

As you can see, the total time for searching the movie ID, the data
and the poster is less than 4 seconds, but when I'm searching within
the frontend the search time can get to 45-60 seconds, and somethims
even longer...
Doe's anyone ever encountered this problem? any ideas of how fixing it?

Thanks!