[mythtv-users] Re: Recording Profiles dont seem to work with a PVR350 mpeg2 encoder chip!?

Robert Tsai rtsai1111 at comcast.net
Mon Jun 27 12:27:38 UTC 2005

On Mon, Jun 27, 2005 at 02:09:37PM +0200, Robert Krig wrote:
> Probably not, I'll have to check. But why should that matter? Im not
> asking MythTV to transcode my recordings once theyve been recorded.
> After all, that would just result in more loss of quality. I'm
> trying to get to the point were my recording profiles are as such
> that I can more or less directly burn my recordings to DVD without
> any need of re-encoding or transcoding.
>
> Ok, I just checked it, and the first page says "Automatically
> transcode after recording".

There you go; mystery solved. That is why MythTV is transcoding your
programs after they've been recorded, and why you're ending up with
480x480 recordings.

> But whats the point in enabling that? I do NOT want to have to
> re-encode my recordings. And since they are being recorded at
> 480x480 resolution anyway, resizing them through transcoding is
> utterly pointless.

In your case, you've decided there is no need to enable
auto-transcode. Turn off the checkbox if this feature doesn't meet
your needs.

As for why this feature exists at all, it is because not everyone has
a hardware encoder, so things need to be transcoded after the fact in
less-than-real-time.

--Rob