[mythtv-users] Mythbackend.log stops getting written to after logrotate

Chris Edwards chris.edwards at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 13:19:24 UTC 2005

On 6/27/05, Robert Tsai <rtsai1111 at comcast.net> wrote:
*snip*
> This looks syntactically correct, but won't achieve what you want.
> Mythbackend still has the logfile open, so even though the logfile has
> been truncated, the space will not be returned to the filesystem until
> the logfile has been closed (which today requires that mythbackend be
> restarted). Until mythbackend is fixed to honor SIGHUP or something to
> re-open its logfile, you're stuck.
>
> A workaround would be to re-schedule your daily log rotations
> (/etc/crontab) to run at a time when you know you don't have any
> recordings, and have your postrotate script restart mythbackend ...

While it may still be consuming space, it certainly has the effect of
allowing new log messages to appear in the truncated file. It's
unlikely that the backend will run for long enough for the wasted
space to be a problem. 100MB is an awful lot of log messages (over a
year's worth for me), but a fraction of what a single recording will
use.

But having the backend reopen the file would still be a good idea.
I'll see if I can get around to doing it myself in a week or so.

Chris