[mythtv-users] XvMC data point

Blammo blammo.doh at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 04:59:50 UTC 2005

On 6/27/05, Dave Tarkowski <dtarkows at gmail.com> wrote:
> I searched the list and couldn't find a definitive answer on what type
> of processor one could get away with when using XvMC, just that it the
> requirements were "drastically lower."

I have a machine in my computer room, Athlon 1gig, 512M ram, NV 5700U
that can keep up with 1080i content using XvMC and Bob. Plays 720p
content ok as well. Output screensize is 1024x768 so there's even a
bit of scaling going on.

Turn XvMC off and that's a whole 'nother story.

Non-HD, but I have a machine at a friends house, Celeron 233, 5200 PCI
XvMC that can play PVR-250 encoded content just fine.

Using XvMC the bottom is pretty low, but you have to be prepared to
deal with the "quirks" of occasional crashes. (The prebuffering one is
the last real pain in my @$$)