[mythtv-users] Acceptable Hardware

Anthony Vito anthony.vito at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 16:57:26 UTC 2005

On 6/26/05, Daniel Finnie <dfinnie at erols.com> wrote:
> Here is the system, with links to NewEgg and some questions:

You probably could just get away with searching the list and deciding
on hardware that way. Machine building question aren't too relevant to
the list, but that's ok. It's not like you cursed or something....

> Is it OK if I forgo the floppy drive?

You should have a floppy laying around if you need it in a pinch to
update a BIOS... so much easier that way.....

> HDD - 300GB 7200RPM IDE Western Digital (only $133, otherwise I would get
> SATA).  If I end up needing a second hard drive, will MythTV recognize
> it and use it the same?  IE I don't have to say "put this recording on this hard drive"

That's actually an interesting question. Myth uses a path for
storarge. One for recordings and one for a live TV buffer. I don't
think there is any fail over ability built in. Typically in a 'nice'
linux setup you use LVM to manage your disks. With LVM you can add a
new disc as a physical volume and extend other logical volumes, then
extend the file systems to match. Most modern linux distros will let
you set up LVM on install.
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/

> RAM - 2x 256mb ddr333 (pc2700)

Get 512M and then you don't have to think about it again.

> second tuner, should I get more?

This is a personal question.... how much TV do you watch?

> CPU - AMD Sempron 2600+ Palermo 333MHz FSB Socket 754.

Fine for everything but HDTV... but it doesn't look like your doing that.

> $608 :(  Can I skimp on anything?  I might just get a case later and
> leave it in a
> cardboard box.

Personally I wouldn't set out to build a system by buying the absolute
bottom of the barrel parts.... but to each his own. I left out all the
other questions because they can easily be searched for.

Good luck!

--
Anthony Vito
anthony.vito at gmail.com