[mythtv-users] Unable to tune higher channels suddenly

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Jun 28 17:43:03 UTC 2005

Mario Limonciello wrote:

>Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>>The behavior you describe is consistent with using a type 39 tuner
>>definition with a type 47 tuner (inability to tune channels > 61).
>>Some IvyTV versions had a broken tuner module (with missing tuner
>>definitions and improperly numbered tuners)--and, IIRC, the type 47
>>was mapped to 39 with the definition for 39 changed to that for 47.
>>The current versions have fixed the discrepancies in the tuner module,
>>so it's possible you were using a broken tuner module and didn't
>>unload the tveeprom module (and, so, weren't using the updated
>>tveeprom module for autodetection), so it kept detecting your tuner as
>>the wrong one.
>>

>I don't think this was exactly the case here because it WAS working for
>several months on the old driver (which may or may not have contained
>the broken tuner module).  At this point I'll just blame it on gremlins
>unless this happens again :)

But since the driver that shipped the broken tuner module was written to
work with the broken tuner module, it actually did work.  It was only
broken in that the numbers were not correct--they were different from
those defined by the V4L API--the driver was not compatible with a
proper V4L tuner.  (Basically, because type 47 was mapped to 39 but 39
was changed to the definition of 47, it all "looked" good to the end user.)

Mike