[mythtv-users] Multiple viewers

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Jun 29 01:01:16 UTC 2005

Michael T. Dean wrote:

> If you're interested why LiveTV consumes a whole tuner, try to come up
> with an algorithm for maintaining an X megabyte ring buffer with
> multiple people watching the same channel from the same tuner.
> Depending on how much pausing is going on, it's quite possible that
> the person who's closest to real time is more than X megabytes ahead
> of the person who paused LiveTV to go make some dinner.  So, it's
> quite easy to go beyond the allowed limit for the buffer to ensure
> each person has his/her fair share of rewindability.

OK.  Just realized that the buffer is X megabytes before real-time--not
around current viewing position--so this isn't a problem.  However,
control of the card is a problem.  If 5 people are watching LiveTV on
the same card and one changes the channel, what should happen?  Should
the user wanting another channel get kicked to another tuner?  If so,
what if there are no additional tuners?  Probably many more issues I
can't think of...

Sorry for my confusion...  I'll try to think through my thought
experiments better next time...  :)

Mike