[mythtv-users] undelete

Preston Crow pc-mythtv05 at crowcastle.net
Wed Jun 29 02:49:44 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-06-28 at 22:44, Kelly wrote:
> On 6/28/05, Chuck Vohs <fuzzie at vohslaw.com> wrote:
> > My kids deleted just about every recording on my myth box.
> > The status still shows a lot of disk space used.
> > Is there a way to recover these deleted recordings?
>
> I'll break the bad news:
> no

Actually, it depends on which file system you're running.

First, stop anything that is writing to the file system and remount it
read-only.

Second, copy everything that's important off.

Third, google on the name of the file system and "undelete" for
instructions on how to achieve what you want.

I know it can be done with Rieser--fortunately, I had a convenient
listing of the files with their lengths from before the disaster, as the
undelete didn't preserve the file names, so I was able to put them
back.  Also, in my case they weren't deleted from the mysql database, so
I didn't have to play any tricks with Myth to get it to recognize the
files.

It is possible--it's just likely a lot of work.

I would recommend renting the shows on DVD or waiting for reruns.

--PC