[mythtv-users] undelete

Fedor Pikus fpikus at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 03:47:45 UTC 2005

On 6/28/05, Chad <masterclc at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Linux/Unix file system is not the same as M$oft. Sorry but when you
> > delete in Linux you delete forever. Unless your with the NSA.... but
> > that's another listgroup.
> >
> > kel
>
> I see quite a few people offering solutions...  I'm by no means a
> super power user, but I'm quite fluent with linux.  I've tried
> diligently to get files undeleted but have never been successful.

Unfortunately, most of undelete info out there is outdated. Ext2
allowed to undelete sometimes. Files on Ext3, however, cannot be
undeleted even if you just deleted them and immediately stopped all
activity on the disk. Almost all of the data is there, and if you scan
the disk sector by sector you can restore it, but not all of it.
I haven't heard about undeleting anything from JFS either, ReiserFS
seems to allow some.
--
Fedor G Pikus (fpikus at gmail.com)
http://www.pikus.net