[mythtv-users] Video Card Suggestions for DVI/HDMI Output

Chad masterclc at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 03:55:24 UTC 2005

On 6/28/05, Jon Kunze <jon99ut at gmail.com> wrote:
> I recently purchased a Toshiba 52" DLP television, and I'm now
> interested in upgrading the quality of the MythTV Display. I'm
> currently using the Svideo out on my Chaintech mother board with the
> nividia mx440 on board. I would like to use either the HDMI or
> component input on my new television.
>
> What would be the suggestion for doing this output. Would it be
> beneficial to use the HDMI input as opposed to the Component input?
>
> If I use the HDMI input, what would be a good video card to purchase
> that is compatible with the HDMI input (I'm assuming that I would want
> to get a video card with DVI output and use a converter to HDMI).
>
> Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, as I'm soon going to be
> recording and displaying HD recordings, as well as want the upscaling
> of the DVD video. Thank you.

There was a thread a while back with a link to an article on DVI vs
HDMI vs Component.  The jist, it really doesn't matter.  Whatever is
cheapest and most available, that's the one to choose.

I also read a bit on HDMI, and it sounds like that is the least likely
choice you want to make.  It's nice to have 1 small/single cable to
run dvi quality with audio, but there were some pitfalls that I can't
remember right now.

Anyway, I don't know if you've got a seperate A/V reciever yet, but if
you do, then certainly hdmi would be a no.  You don't have the audio
coming from the TV so the hdmi cable wouldn't be doing anything the
other 2 can't.

Cool