[mythtv-users] using the Buttons "Scan Channels(s)" and"Advanced" ?

David Watkins watkinshome at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 15:04:41 UTC 2005

On 29/06/05, Graham Bishop <grim_b at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> No where near my mythtv box at the moment, but what I have been doing
> is seeing as the grab for schedules works, I have been using the
> command:
>
> # /usr/lib/ivtv/ptune-ui.pl &
> # mplayer -vo xv /dev/video0
>
> This has allowed me to see what is an active channel and the frequency
> it is on (its reported in the terminal when changing channel).  I then
> (With the use of a TV find the actual channel i.e BBC1 ) edit the
> channel settings in mythtvsetup and put the frequency code in the field
> on page 2 (i think, its the first field on the page anyways)
>
> This then allows me to see the schedule and channel within
> mythfrontend.
>
> I hope that is of help, but recently, ptune-ui.pl has given up the
> ghost, even though I can still watch TV with MythTV?
>
> Onwards and downwards.
> Graham.

Other methods of finding the frequencies (for the UK at least) are:

1. This website allows you to type in your postcode or grid reference
and show the frequencies for the analog terrestrial channels.
    http://www.wolfbane.com/cgi-bin/tva.exe?

2. If you can boot the card under windows, then the software supplied
with the PVR250 allows for channel scanning.  AFAIK the mythtv channel
scanning is only for dvb cards - I could be wrong though.