[mythtv-users] TV won't play unless you run mythbackend manually from a console (Success)

chris at cpr.homelinux.net chris at cpr.homelinux.net
Wed Jun 29 19:17:35 UTC 2005

On Wed, Jun 29, 2005 at 12:40:12AM +0100, Nick wrote:
> > Is there a correct way to load the module WAY earlier?  I'm thinking there's
> > a more correct way to get it to load first.. before any of the /etc/init.d
> > stuff runs.
> I run the modprobes (2 cards) and start mythbackend from rc.local (you
> could prob do it from rc.sysinit too).

With Debian-based distros, the *proper* way to load a hardware module
at boot time is to add the module's name to the list in /etc/modules
and allow the /etc/init.d/module-init-tools script load it at the
appropriate moment during the boot-up sequence.  The module-init-tools
script uses modprobe to load each listed module so the dependencies
would automatically be loaded (assuming depmod ran without errors to
build the dependency tree).