[mythtv-users] [OT] ALSA messup :-( [SOLVED]

Jim Reith reith at racores.com
Thu Jun 30 16:55:31 UTC 2005

At 12:09 PM 6/30/2005, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Morten Rønseth wrote:
>
>>It turns out that the order in which the two sound modules were listed
>>mattered...
>>Iswapped things around and I now got the emu10k1 module to load and get
>>sound through myth.
>>However, I cannot load the onboard sound module...
>>
>>sound: Loading sound module (snd-emu10k1) succeeded
>>Jun 30 17:36:07 localhost kernel: snd-via82xx: Unknown symbol
>>snd_ac97_get_short_name
>>Jun 30 17:36:07 localhost modprobe: FATAL: Error inserting snd-via82xx
>>(/lib/modules/2.6.8.1-12mdk/kernel/sound/pci/snd-via82xx.ko): Unknown
>>symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
>
>To answer my own question:
>
>In order to try and get sound going I reinstalled alsa - which alsa
>installed every other sound module. There was therefore a comflict between
>snd-via82xx.ko && snd-via82xx.ko.gz. Removing snd-via82xx.ko fixed this :-)

Excellent. I'm glad you got it sorted out. I was sorry to point out about
saving the original file but i do see people reverting to doing a complete
reinstall sometimes for things as simple as that. I even keep backups of
config files with names like XF86Config-4.CRT so I can fix things from the
command line if I really screw up